Saturday, 18 October 2008

A day at the Whitby seaside!

I was out of the hotel by 8am yesterday. Bertie drove me to the Royal Oak in Pickering where I caught the 840 Coastliner bus to Whitby. Whitby is a gorgeous touristy sea-side town on the North-East coast of England. It was the inspiration for the Dracula book, has a goth festival every year and is also famous for Captain Cook living here during his apprenticeship in the mid 18th century.Whitby harbour. It was here that the ships Captain Cook used in his voyages across the world were built.A statue on Fishburns' shipyard, where 200 years ago, whalers, fishing craft and trading ships were built.
A ship in the harbour. It was open for tours, but I didn't go on.


The Captain Cook statue and the Whale bone arches.Seagulls and an old anchor.

Whitby - the cliff with Saint Marys, the abbey and the old town.


Saint Marys. (They're all St Marys aren't they?) Whitby Abbey at the top of 199 steps. Some very impressive and dramatic looking ruins over-looking the old town and the ocean. The arches.
This is how it looked before the bus load of school children on a day trip took over and started running amok all over the site.


I had a wonderful day spent walking around, visiting the Captain Cook memorial museum, looking in to the little shops on the narrow, cobbled streets in the old section of the town, eating fish 'n chips and finishing off with a custard and rhubarb flavoured ice-cream and taking photographs. It was dark by the time my bus arrived and when I returned the Royal Oak, I still had half an hour to kill while I waited for Tim the taxi driver to arrive. I braved the pub by myself, had a pint of Spitfire ale, and busied myself wrapping up the large stash of Fair Trade chocolate I found for Nols at the Co-op. It was a lovely and memorable day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment