Friday, 26 December 2008

Christmas in Cornwall

On Tuesday morning after Lea dropped me at Milton Keynes Central, I got onto the 08:21 train headed for London Euston. From Euston station, I got the taxi to Paddington station and at Paddington I got the 10:06 train to Truro, Cornwall. It was a 5 hour journey on the train, which went pretty quickly as I had my iPod playing The Libertines and Babyshambles. Pretty cool that I got the Libs second album and Babyshambles ‘Shotters Nation’ for £5 each on Play.com when they usually go for £16 at HMV or Zavvi.

Tim and Harry picked me up and we drove through Truro and Helston to the farm. I had been warned that the place was been renovated, but I was still surprised to see the bare walls and concrete. It’s an old large farmhouse surrounded by hills with sheep and cows grazing, baah-ing and moo-ing.

Harry is a sweet 3 year old who has taken his parents separation rather badly. He’s generally well behaved, but he needs a lot of attention and to be played with a lot. We’ve spent a lot of time building houses out of blocks of wood left over from the wood work and I think we both enjoy that. Tim was particularly impressed with my architectural skills!

Christmas was a good day. Helen, Tims wife, arrived on the 24th and spent the night. On Christmas morning Harry came through very excited about his mommy been here, the lights on the tree, the presents and his filled stocking. We had a large breakfast of salmon, brioche, ham, eggs and tea. When that was all done, we sat in the drawing room with the enormous fire and opened up presents! I got some lovely pjs from Lea and John, a tin of chocolates and a hand made glass coaster made in Cornwall. Lunch was ready by around two o’ clock and consisted of roast goose, ham, carrots, brussel sprouts, roast potatoes, sausages, onion stuffing…I forget what else, but there was loads to eat! That was followed by Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and mince pies I made the day before.
The goose, which was my first, was delicious! When lunch was over, we got to open some more presents and I got a small pouch with hand creams and foam baths and body scrubs. I did pretty well for myself, especially as I didn’t expect to get anything this year! One of the things I really like about Christmas is the stream of text messages with well wishes for the day and the new year! It was a very good day, but by the time it got to nine o’ clock I was ready for bed, so I excused myself, and went to bed with my book and my tin of chocolates. So that was the end of Christmas 2008. And so my time in Cornwall has begun on a fairly positive note and I’m already 4 days in. I have a few things to look forward to while I’m here, including a trip to the Eden Project, some pretty Cornish coastal towns and the joy of living on a farm with cows, sheep, pigs and chickens.


Tim and Harry on Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment