Wednesday, 22 July 2009

A Monday and Tuesday

I’m feeling uber good today after some time off in the city with dear Lee. I caught up on some sleep on Monday morning before walking to Mill End, getting the bus to the train station in Henley on Thames and the train to London Paddington. I had no proper plan, so I ended up wondering around the Camden markets, then off to Oxford, Regent and Carnaby Streets. I didn’t buy a single thing. I met Lee in Hope Square outside of Liverpool Street Station and we got the tube to Bermondsey on the South of the Thames. After he’d checked in we got back on the tube for Aldgate East and Brick Lane where were we had reserved a table for dinner. We shared a bottle of pink wine and ate loads of curry and were too lazy to walk back to the station so we got a taxi all the way back to Bermondsey.

Tuesday morning after Lee went to work and I had a lie in I attempted to leave the hotel and ended up lost. Sigh. I’m such an idiot sometimes. I ended up on the wrong floor and followed a suited man to where I thought was the exit and ended up in the middle of a board meeting. Everyone stopped and looked at me and I was ‘uh…yeah…I’m looking for the exit’. I turned around and burst out laughing before I’d even left the room. And carried on giggling while I found the exit and fled the building.

I met Lee for lunch at Victoria station then a 20 minute tube ride to Barbican and the Museum of London. I spent a good portion of the afternoon looking at the ‘apartheid section’ and the ‘London’s burning’ exhibit. Then back down south to Pimlico and the Tate Britain. I was there last in February, but didn’t spend very much time. I went back to look at the William Blake room and wandered into room 24 the ‘Gilbert and George’ room.Gilbert and George.

I was kind of fascinated, drawn in to it really. I ended up spending far too much time in there.

I also spent a goodly amount of time in the Rothko / Turner room. Turner I get. Rothko, not so much. One of the smaller rooms off the main gallery had three or four very large Rothko works on the walls, 3 people were on the comfy benches just staring at the walls, transfixed. I tried, but I just don’t get it.

I walked back to the station in the rain, met Lee outside Pimlico and we went to a restaurant just off of Carnaby Street and shared another bottle of pink wine before back to Paddington and the train ride back home.

I don’t feel as though I’ve wasted my time off. I’m super impressed with myself! AND it’s half way through Wednesday, which means just two days before Lee is back in Hambleden again.

No comments:

Post a Comment