Monday, 3 August 2009

Down and out in the Embassy offices

I got a lift to the train station in Henley this morning with Jed, the Irish bloke who sometimes drinks in the public bar. I was waiting outside the village shop by a quarter to nine, and, as promised, he came by and picked me up. I got in to Paddington with loads of time to spare and got straight on to the circle line to South Kensington...walked way further than I should have, turned around and found Cromwell Place right outside the tube station. Hmph. I queued up outside the French Embassy with a few others and was let in at half past eleven. I was inside from that time until around half past three. It wasn't awesome. I was grateful that I'd gone back upstairs before leaving Hambleden to grab George Orwell's 'Down and Out in Paris and London'. It's pretty good so far and is about exactly what the title says. I love reading about things like that, tough times, Paris, London, poverty...I only had £1.90 on me and couldn't afford a vending machine tea and something to eat. So I bought myself a huge bag of Haribo Starmix for the sugar content. I ended up eating the whole bag, just scoffing it all down while I waited in that dreadful room. By the time I got out of there, my vision was all skew and I was on a terrible sugar high which ended in me feeling sicky for the rest of the day. I went to Camden to try and cheer myself up but felt too dazed and out of it to shop. Plus, I realized I really need a girl friend to shop with. I'm a useless shopper. I ended up just buying an 'old man' hat for Lee on the High Street. Now I'm going to have to go back and get one for me too, because I've fallen in love with it.The French gave me a Schengen Visa eventually and now I can allow myself to get proper excited about my Paris trip at the end of September. Ooooh Paris!!

No comments:

Post a Comment