Monday, 26 October 2009

These are a few of my favourite things...

This weekend was my favourite since arriving in Belfast. It was full and filled with some of my favourite things (not the raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens variety of favourite things either). We saw Thomas Leeb play twice, we shopped, slept in late, watched telly, drank Guinness, cooked and baked, met friends, walked through Belfast’s city centre in the rain and sat in the bar where we first (officially and properly) met.

We watched Thomas Leeb play on Friday at this little book store called No Alibis on Botanic Avenue behind Queens university. The bookstore specializes in British, American and Irish crime fiction and seconds as a small venue for live music. Thomas Leeb is an Austrian Californian who taught Lee ‘extreme acoustic’ in the Austrian mountains.  He’s pretty cool.


 
While Lee made us focaccia bread and a fig and polenta tart I got to play DJ with the help of Last.fm. It turned into a ‘nineties’ and ‘sixties’ evening while I played some of the music I grew up listening to. Pearl Jam, Garbage, Metallica, Live, Smashing Pumpkins, and then on to Roy Orbison, The Monkees and the Byrds! Happy cheesy sing-a-long-able songs that made me happy! After all of that, we sat down and watched the X Factor on telly with cups of tea and slices of tart.



I had another hugely successful shopping trip and ended up spending far too much money, though it was all worth it! I bought two pairs of shoes at Schu on the High Street, a gorgeous coat and a very pretty and simple dress which I insisted on trashing up with a pair of fishnets and red heels and some dancing around the kitchen to the Monkees ‘Daydream Believer’.

Yesterday afternoon we met Aiden and Jenna at the House on Stranmillis and took a walk to Maddens Bar in the city centre, just around the corner from Kelly’s Cellar. We stopped into the Ulster Museum along the way as it’s just reopened after being refurbished. It was packed and too hot, so we left almost immediately and walked to Maddens in the rain.



Maddens is where it all happened last December, where Lee and I met and spent the night talking and laughing, singing and flirting with each other.



 
 
We sat upstairs and watched and listened to the traditional Irish band play while Thomas set up for his show. I love the traditional Irish bands. There were two we saw yesterday, upstairs and downstairs.





 
I'm loving Belfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment