Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Acutely longing for one's family or home [homesick]

I've been missing home. I'll be working away, watching telly or just going about my day and without warning old scenes will flash in my mind. The flower shop in the centre, the festive display at Makro with all the isles of chocolates, biscuits and tins of sweets, the decorations. And of course my family. It's been a year since I've seen them. I find myself humming 'my hart verlang na die boland' and re watching old South African ads on YouTube... Looking at pictures and feeling nostalgic and wanting so badly to be pulling up outside those big heavy spiked white gates and beeping for them to open up...then getting enthusiastically attacked and mauled by the bull terrier. I miss my mom. I want to sit in a cafĂ© over a pot of tea and a sticky bun and tell her about my year. 
Dad always sang this in the morning when he dropped us off at school. He'd wind his window down and sing it loudly. I've been singing it lately, thankfully only in my head...

2 comments:

  1. Oh no I'm sure it is hard for you.. Any chance you could go over to visit them, or them come to you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sometimes. We're looking forward to a good 3 week holiday in February though, so that ought to help :)

    ReplyDelete