Sunday, 21 August 2011

Downhill dander (also, 'Musings at Mussenden')

Lee's dad wanted to do a painting at Downhill today, so we all piled in to the car and went along. I've been wanting to see the Mussenden Temple and the Downhill ruins for ages so I was pretty pleased with our plans for the day. Lee's ma took Tina for a walk on the beach, his dad painted the scenery and Lee and I took a walk around the ruins and the temple.




A girl with a harp was inside the temple, she started to play 'Down by Sally Gardens' when we walked in. So pretty :)
We walked through the grounds and got our feet thoroughly soaked. Lee was particularly concerned with getting trench foot. We laughed lots. He also mentioned that we should probably save a few things for our retirement as everyone else we encountered along the way were clearly and obviously pensioners. I laughed some more.
Downhill beach from the Mussenden Temple


We met his folks back down on the beach and waited while his dad finished his art. When it was all done and dried we drove over to the Willow Garden Tea Rooms with their peacocks in the garden. We talked about how it reminded us of that tea garden on Hennie Alberts Street, the one we went to with my own ma on our last day in South Africa in 2009. Except that there, it was hot and we drank real milkshakes, and there weren't any wasps. 


At the Willow Garden Tea Room/garden.
I do love a pretty pot of tea. Also, in the sunshine you can really see how bad my regrowth is. Sigh.
We fed really well at Willow Garden and drank lots of tea. The sun shone and we were all in good spirits. Next weekend is going to be really good too, and I've been looking forward to it for weeks! Lee and I are heading to Dublin. Whoohoo!

2 comments:

  1. Loving all your pictures from around the coast. I love this part of N. Ireland so much. Our house is in Bushmills and I have family in Portrush, Portstewart and Portballintra. Even though I've just come back home to London I want to go back again!!!


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Northern Ireland is beautiful. We still want to spend some time out in Bushmills. I love London too, but I wouldn't want to live there...

    ReplyDelete