Sunday, 23 October 2011

Toulouse & Two Star Michel Sarran experience

Lee reserved us a table for lunch on Tuesday at Michel Sarran in Toulouse. It's the first two star restaurant we've eaten in. Luckily, Lee had the foresight to tell them of my 'shellfish allergy'. No way was I chancing eating icky cockles and creepy things with tentacles and feelers. Shudder.
Our combined knowledge of French is rough to say the least and even with French phrases on iPhones and pocket dictionaries, we weren't doing brilliantly. I of course, turned into a complete idiot every time anyone came near me or tried to speak to me, I couldn't even speak English to them for fear of looking like a foolish tourist. I will henceforth be extremely patient with foreign people.
Everything was so beautifully done, even the bread sticks on the table were art. 

I don't know what these were, but they didn't contain shell fish! They were wonderful. The plates and the cutlery all had Michel Sarrans signature. It's in the details.
 I had the sea bass on couscous.
Lee's cheese board
 The wee ice cream cone after the meal. After we'd eaten, Michel Sarran the man himself came out to our table to see how we liked the meal. He spoke English. Of course, we loved the meal, every bit of it.
After our meal we took a dander down to the river where we lazed in the afternoon sunshine and basked in the after glow of our many delicious courses at the restaurant. We were pretty full, slow and lazy.





When the sun got too hot, we walked dragged our feet into the city and looked around the market, looked into shops and drank icy coke on pavements outside caf├ęs.


We bought more pastries and bread before heading back to the train station to go back to Cordes Vindrac where the car was parked. We were thankful to get back to the car after delays and panic at the station in Toulouse. Platforms were changed and changed again, there was much confusion and instructions in French and then a hurried walk to another platform and a jump on a train...and then some more waiting. But we got to where we were going eventually. I'm going to have to learn some French before going anywhere near France again. Not being able to communicate is scary.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! Made me feel like I was there with you guys :) Do you have an iPhone? If so, you must get Instagram. It's horribly addictive, but it's a wonderful place to share images. Soooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I don't have an iPhone, and really, the only reason I'd want one is for Instagram!! I know I'd end up a complete addict, so it's probably just as well I don't have one ;)

    ReplyDelete