Monday, 12 December 2011

Lee's birthday weekend (image heavy)

Lee's birthday celebrations started on Thursday evening with a meal out at The Spinning Mill in Ballymena. He was off on Friday, and I went in to work earlier so I could get out early to get the train to Belfast where we had a hotel booked for the weekend. We got to our room, checked in, got changed and headed back out to try some Indian at the new Indian restaurant above Kelly's Cellars in the city centre. We were impressed with Saffa (which I'd originally mistaken for a South African restaurant!) and will definitely be back!

I love Belfast at this time of the year, I love the market and the lights and the bustle about the place.
We ate out at Mourne Seafood Bar on Saturday night. We love Mourne and as usual the food was amazing. I had the hot smoked salmon to start and the sea bream for my mains. Lee had mackerel pate and a whole John Dory. We had to stop in for our customary pint at Kelly's Cellars then moved on to our other traditional stop, Maddens. Maddens had some live music so we ended up spending the rest of the night there, or at least until they switched on the lights and it was time to go back to the hotel.
Direct Wine Shipments had their annual Christmas wine tasting event. We were sat at a table with some lovely chatty and friendly ladies, one of whom is a registrar at city hall and was convinced she's met me before. I'm still baffled as to where or how.

Sunday morning after breakfast we took a stroll across to the cinema on the Dublin Road to see Arthur Christmas. It was a cute and feel good film and I'm kind of not ashamed to admit that I teared up a wee bit during it. It's ridiculous how emotional I am during films but that just took it to a new level...crying over a cartoon.
After a stroll through Victoria Square and some Nandos for lunch we met Carri-Ann and Aidan at the Garrick and then it was time to head back to the station and go home. It's always nice to go home and we were cold and tired and especially thankful to be back snuggled up at home on the couch with a blanket and a cup of tea. We really are home-bodies.

We had such a lovely weekend, we ate so much, drank mulled wine at the market, finished the last of our shopping, had a movie date and a few good dinner dates and got some good quality time together.

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness what a fab weekend!! I miss Belfast sometimes :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to make a plan to come out and visit then :)

    ReplyDelete