Sunday, 15 April 2012

Nou gaan ons braai!

(or, we're going to barbecue now)

If you looked at the picture below, you'd think it was a lovely warm sunny day, right? 

Wrong! 

The sun was shining, but there was little or no warmth in it. Still, we hadn't christened our back garden with a bbq yet and we figured it might never get any warmer anyway, so today was a good day to braai (what we do in South Africa).




We had home made lamb and mint burgers with yoghurt and beetroot sauce, cheese and tomato toasties and sardines. Delicious! What a perfect afternoon outdoors, wrapped up in a blanket and sitting as close to the fire as I could without risking the blanket going up in flames.

Sometimes, I really miss South Africa. 

I think any South African can relate to this video. I hated going to braais when I was a kid, it'd always end up too late, Yvonne and I would be close to tears, cold, hungry and tired and by the time the food is cooked, we'd lost interest and found a spare room to sleep in*.

*That wasn't just when I was a kid either, that probably carried on in to my twenties.

2 comments:

  1. Ahahaha, it's funny 'cos it's true! Those braais were killer!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Mossel Bay was the worst. Poor ma.

      Delete