Thursday, 10 May 2012

The long weekend

I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to a three day weekend! It was glorious, although the weather didn't cooperate much at all. The sun did shine, but there isn't much heat in ten degrees sunshine. Still, we took advantage of it and Lee started building up our raised herb/veggie patch and I sat on the step and ate ice lollies while supervising his work ;)

There was also much lying around on couches watching mindless telly, many naps, and many mugs of Ovaltine. 

On Monday Lee was running in the Belfast marathon, so after I'd dropped him off in Glengormley, I came back to the house and got stuck in to all some of things I've been needing to do but not had the energy for. 

And then I baked Hertzog cookies!

I'd been threatening to make these for Lee for ages and when we were in South Africa last, my mom had made a batch and then she emailed me the recipe when we got home and it's taken me this long to get around to making them.













Here's the recipe:


2 Eggs
5 Tablespoons castor sugar
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
Apricot jam

3/4 cup desiccated coconut
Short or puff pastry



1. Sift together the sugar and baking powder.

2. Beat the egg whites until quite stiff. Fold in the sugar mixture alternately with the coconut.

3. Line patty pans with pastry. Place a teaspoon of jam in each tartlet and top this with a tablespoon of the egg mixture.

4. Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.

My marmee always made these at Christmas, along with hundreds of mince pies. I think I'll just carry on that tradition :)

3 comments:

  1. Aww I hope Lee did well in the marathon! And those cookies look great - I love your cute cardigan too lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did very well, thanks :) Hmm, they're pretty yummy! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. They look yummy - never heard of them before!!

    ReplyDelete