I'd been thinking about and fancying the crunchies my mom makes and since I didn't have the recipe (yet) ahem ma...I took a looksee online and found the below recipe. Only now that I'm looking through it again, I realize I made a mistake or two. I'm blaming baby brain. Anyway, they turned out really well despite my mistakes.
310 ml (1 ¼ cups) Flour
310 ml (1 ¼ cups) Breakfast Oats
310 ml (1 ¼ cups) Coconut
185 ml ( ¾ cups) Sugar
20 ml (4 tsp) Golden Syrup
125 ml ( ½ cup) Butter OR Margarine
5 ml (1 tsp) Bicarbonate of Soda
45–60 ml Boiling Water
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Melt the Golden Syrup and butter together. Combine the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter mixture.
- Mix together with the dry ingredients.
- Press the mixture into a Swiss Roll tin (or for a thicker crunchie, bake in a square 20 cm x 20 cm tin) and bake for 20 minutes at 150°C. Gently press down the sides if they seem to rise too much.
- When light brown, remove from the oven and cut into squares. Switch off the oven. Return the crunchies to the oven for about 10 minutes to dry out.
Allow to cool before removing from the tin.
I made these on Sunday and we've eaten them all already. Oh dear.